missing gnome menu items

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced missing gnome menu items. I recently reinstalled debian on my laptop, and I found that a couple of items, for setting the screen saver and for managing gnome sessions, are missing. They were there before I reinstalled, and the programs exist on my machine--I can execute them from the command line (just no items on the gnome menu). I had noticed this weird "missing menu item" thing before, but it only had happened before with packages I added from the apt repositories after installation. Sometimes the items would appear after a few upgrades.

Just last night I added a game called xbubble, and the menu item failed to appear. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Angelo