Re: demon usb modem [WAS: suggestions of uncapped Broadband >512Kbp in UK]

The instructions I followed were:

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/docs/sargehowto.html

However, you do *not* need to do configure the kernel.

You *do* need to "apt-get install speedtouch"!

You do *NOT* need to install hotplug - 'cos it's already there.

You *do* need to get the firmware!

You do not need to install the hotplug script the "apt-get install speedtouch"
inserts that for you.

You need to configure PPPoA and create your /etc/pppp/peers/ file. I called
mine "demon" and it looks like this:

debug
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 3
noipdefault
defaultroute
user "mydemonusername@myaccesspoint.demonadsl.co.uk"
noauth
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj
holdoff 4
persist
maxfail 25
updetach
#usepeerdns
plugin pppoatm.so
0.38

Notice that I have commented out "usepeerdns" this is because of other parts
of my setup.

Next, you *do* need to setup chap-secrets and pap-secrets with your details.

libatm1 should be installed as a dependency of speedtouch.

That should be it - now just "Plug and Play"!

Good luck.

TreeBoy