Re: udev - easy setup ?

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> [2005 Aug 05 07:05 -0500]:

> So what I understand is that udev is a great framework, but it hasn't
> been sufficiently implemented in user space to be "plug and play"?
> Perhaps the desktop projects are working on utilizing it.

I shall correct myself to some degree.  I just finished burning a
Ubuntu 5.04 Live CD and hotplugging my Lexar Jump Drive results in not
only a nice icon on the screen but opens a Nautilus window with the
Jump Drive directory contents.  Very nice.

>From what I've seen both GNOME and KDE are getting this area of USB
hotplugging covered.  Since I've seen it in KNOPPIX 3.9 and now Ubuntu,
I hope the tricks and techniques will filter into Testing in the near
future.  Maybe I'm getting old and lazy, but I'm finding this automatic
stuff to be rather fun.  Yet, I appreciate that with Debian I can still
get underneath it all and control it manually if need be.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"