Re: Aptitude erroneously thinks many packages are unused and wants to remove them.

On Monday 01 August 2005 06:19, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>
(<[🔎] 20050801121958.GD3582@clivemenzies.co.uk>) wrote:

> On (01/08/05 12:32), Adam Funk wrote:
>> Inspired by the advice on this group and the -s option, I'm trying out
>> aptitude.  But I'm surprised by this:
>>
>> followed by a long list of packages, some of which I'm running right now.
>> How does aptitude determine this list, and what's the best way to correct
>> it?
>>
> Briefly, run aptitude in interactive mode - ie # aptitude
> If you press g (only once), the proposed actions will be displayed, you
> can then 'h' hold packages you don't want removed.

I suggest, rather than using 'h' for "hold", using 'm' for "mark as manually
installed" for packages the OP is certain he wants to keep.  In this way,
those packages and their dependencies are both "protected" and upgradable.

> see man aptitude

There's also a very nice "aptitude user's guide".  IIRC, the package is
named aptitude-doc or aptitude-doc-en (for EN speakers).

> If you're running etch or sid you definitely ought to install
> apt-listbugs before upgrading anything.

But not if he's running Sarge?