Re: A question about /srv partition

Le dimanche 03 avril 2005 à 14:43 +0200, Dalibor Straka a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:11:21PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > >
> > > Note.  You should never use XFS (or JFS or others of that class of
> > > journaling file system, which I believe are meta data journaling) unless
> > > the machine is connected to an UPS.  ...
> >
> > Huh?  One of the main strengths of journaling filesystems
> > is that they do recover from poor shutdown better... the
>
> Exactly!

I am not sure about R. C. Sanchez story, but I have read (lkml probably)
that common hard drives (specially ATA ones) lie to the system wrt
"sync" semantics : those cheap bastards may tell the system that data
has been written whereas it is only in the cache, which blows up when
power suddenly goes down. SCSI disks are supposedly shielded against
this by big capacitors (or whatever ...) that give time to the drive
to flush completely its cache to the plates before shutting down.

Aurélien.

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.