Re: benefits of invoke-rc.d

Bob Alexander wrote:

/etc/init.d/ is something I'll always remember.

That said I can imagine other benefits for other people.

You could be using an init replacement, like file-rc:

This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to
shut it down and to change runlevels.  The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be
converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf
instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also
more flexible.
.
The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into
the file method on installation, and convert the file back into
symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through
/etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.