Re: Serial port seemingly not working

Bob Alexander wrote:

Hannuman Bull wrote:

I have a Garmin GPS 76 GPS hooked up to /dev/ttyS0. I can view the gps stream using minicom (serial device: /dev/ttyS0, baud rate: 4800).

Hannuman my friend,
my impression is that the serial is now working but that the GPS is not "serving NMEA data".

Under XP I have DL a simple GPS shareware sw called expertGPS and with it seem able to download the waypoint and other static data but cannot track any "live" data such as position, time or satellite map.

Are you aware of any command, peraphs via minicom, that I can send to the GPS unit to see some response ???

thank you,
bob

Bob,

I've never had to send commands to a GPS, so I'm not sure how to do that. Check with the gps manufacturer to see if they have a programmer's guide. I've always done the output configurations on the GPS itself. On my garmin, I always set the "Interface" in the menu to NMEA serial data format with 4800 baud. Try using M$ hyperterminal or minicom to view the gps stream. Even if you're indoors without satellite reception, you can still see the gps stream. You just don't get any good values.

Hannuman