Re: kind souls around? (\rm -rf '/' - yikes!)

mfabache@yahoo.com writes:

> I am in a bit of a bind and need some help.
>
> I did a \rm -rf / on my debian root!  (yikees!)
>
> I caught the mistake REALLY quick, however, not soon enough to stop it
> from removing the /bin/ls, bin/mv, /bin/cp, /bin/rm...
>
> I am trying to re-add the fileutils pkg, but it bombs, mostly to not
> being able to find the /bin/rm file.
>
> Can anytone point me to a ftp server where I can replace the critical
> files that will allow me to read the fileutils+ packages? or send me
> the debian-woody files (/bin/rm, /bin/mv, /bin/ls, /bin/cp, etc.)?
>
> Also, I am somewhat of a rookie.  If anyone knows a better idea, I
> would appriecate that as well.
>
> I am in quite a bind ...

Sorry, I don't have woody bins, but if you have the debs of the files
you removed, just note that deb files are just ar archives (man ar).

This means, you can unpack the debs first with ar -x your.deb (ar
should still be available in /usr/bin), then the extracted data.tar.gz
with tar -zxvf data.tar.gz . Especially, there's no need for dpkg and
friends to get the content of debs.

Regards, Bruno.