Re: change the default mail client

On Sunday 03 April 2005 04:03, hja123 wrote:
> Hi,
> Right now my default mail client is Kmail. How do I change it to
> Thunderbird? I have looked through the "preference" of both firefox and
> thunderbird to no avail.

Assuming you're talking about which application KDE will use for mailto: links
etc., you can set that in control panel.  It's under something like
"preferred applications", if I recall correctly, but I can't check right now.

There is no one place to set such things system-wide in Linux, though.  If you
use something like kbiff (a panel applet to check and notify you of new
emails), you'll need to go into it's settings and set the preferred email
command to run when you click on it.  In Firefox, you'll probably find an
option somewhere to setup your preferred email app.  If not, it may be in the
GNOME control panel, which you'll probably want to set anyway.

To save all this hassle in future, you could configure debian's "alternatives"
system to have an alias like /usr/bin/email_client always pointing to your
preferred email client (ie, /usr/bin/kmail for now).  Debian might even do
something like that already, but I don't think so.

Linux really needs more standardisation in this simple stuff, imho :(

--
Lee.