Re: Debian sarge base + xfce4 desktop

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 02:43:22AM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (02/04/05 16:31), Simon Huggins wrote:
> > > Is it also available for amd64 'cos I'm using the version provided by
> > > Andreas Weber .... from www.os-works.com/view/debian/:
> > >  Andreas Weber provides ready-to-install Debian/amd64 versions of our
> > >  Debian packages. Just add the lines
> > Are these the os-works packages recompiled or the ones from experimental
> > though?
> I'm not sure but it would appear that the packages are a direct result
> of the creation of the 'live CD' xfld.  But the amd64 bit version is
> created by AW.

Ok.  It would be more useful for Debian then if you can test the ones in
experimental and let us know if there are problems with them as the ones
that os-works produce won't be the ones that go into unstable.

> > The os-works ones aren't really just xfce they are used for the XFLD
> > live CD thing and have other customisations etc.
> Aside from the default desktop picture (advertising the live CD) there
> isn't much customisation; I've run the live cd and it has a fairly fully
> configured system whereas the xfce install is pretty basic.  Xfce is
> modular and they don't seem to have bundled up too much.

For instance they don't ship the 4.2 version of xfdesktop but the
development version 4.3.x which really isn't suitable for maintenance
during a stable Debian release.

> > It's a shame os-works feels the need to duplicate our work but hey.
> Has anyone talked to them?

Yes, I do.  I think when I finally pass the final stage of NM and get a
key in the keyring and can upload packages myself then it'll be easier
to respond to new upstream versions and that at that point XFLD might be
closer to what we ship.  But for now we have different goals.

Simon.

--
 -+//     If you want to put your cat out, use a high quality fire     \\+-
-+<<                       extinguisher. - ISIHAC                       >>+-