Re: isp Re: intrusion via ssh

On Saturday 02 April 2005 01:56, Alvin Oga wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> With all due respect John, they really should be pressing charges
>> against the perp who owned the box in the first place AND their
>> network admin who probably wasn't keeping the systems fully
>> patched.
>
>dont forget to add the isp to the list to file against if they were
>warned/told of their subscribers being unwanted attackers and
> probers and decided to ignore the incoming security complaints
>
>c ya
>alvin

Yes, there is that, but in my dealings with ISP's, they seem to be
quite clueless.  We were (at the tv station) once customers of the
same ISP, leasing a T1 line for way too much a month, with an
insurance companies branch office.  Their machines all got the sobig
worm or some variation on it, and the ddos attacks comeing from their
IP address were using a major piece of the T1 we were paying for.
One of our clueless sales types insisted she hadn't opened a message
from them, but had to do without her pet desk ornament for a day
while we cleaned it up too.

The ISP refused to disconnect a good customer, and the customer, when
called, was absolutely clueless that they had any problem other than
crank calls from us.  I finally asked to speak to the office manager,
and gave him an hour to get his network people in and clean the mess
up or we would sue.  He laughed and said what for?  I said, well, we
do have other methods available too, would you like a demonstration?
When he laughed and said he'd sue for that too, I said don't push
your luck and hung up.  About 2 hours later the attacks stopped, and
when I could once again ping their server late the next day, it
apparently had been cleaned up.

Some people really are too dumb to use a computer without supervision.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)