Vigilanteism [was: Re: Re: intrusion via ssh]

John Hasler wrote:

> Gene Heskett writes:
>> Real justice is served more often than not by those limits.
>
> I wouldn't bet on it.  The law involved is the Federal "Computer Fraud and
> Abuse Act" (violation of which is a felony), not local law and violations
> are investigated by the FBI.  The computers involved are probably zombies
> under remote-control, and may belong to large organizations of the sort
> that always press charges.
> --
> John Hasler

John gets it; we can't have a community where vigilanteism is permitted.

In addition to being illegal, what if your retribution against an
attacking zombie:

1) disables a US government honey pot?  Maybe you've thwarted a federal
investigation, and if the box belonged to homeland security, now you're
liable for charges under one of the many over-reaching anti-terrorism laws.

2) destroys critical cancer research, or causes loss of life from
disrupting a process control system in a chemical manufacturing plant?

But more importantly, it's wrong.  Let's set a higher standard.

Regards,
Ralph