Re: Setting Up Debian Dedicated Server

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky wrote:

> Hello ,
> Naturally I want to use my domain name , instead of ip addres
> for DEDICATED server(Sarge).But unfortunately I am absolutely
> beginner in that networking staff.
> Could some one please advise me on what I have to do in order
> to achieve this goal.
> I am intermediate Linux user, so I believe the short summary
> of necessary steps would be enough and greatly helps.
>
> 1.What nameserver do I have to use?;

you can use the registrar you used to register Gorbatovsky.com
or if you're brave, you can use any dns server anywhere on the net

> 2.do I have to change the name of my dedicated machine itself?

no .. oyu can name your machine anything you like ...
	dmitry.Gorbatovsky.com or whatever

you will need your ip# ( say w.x.y.z ) for your ifconfig
you will need your gateway ( w.x.y.1 ) to the outside world for your
routes

you probably can live with 255.255.255.0 for your netmask
you probably can live with w.x.y.0 for your network address
you probably can live with w.x.y.255 for your broadcast address

if you have just 8 ip# or 1 ip# from your isp, oh well, first crawl
and than stand .. than defend your butt afterward
	- hopefully your isp is protecting your butt with
	the proper masking regardless of what you want to do

c ya
alvin