Re: What Kernel has this Hardware?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:00:12 -0500, Darryl Clarke <smartssa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:15:29 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time), Chris Gray
> <christopher_gray@symantec.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > The Serial ATA controller is the INtel ICH6R.  Is that what you need?
> >
> > Chris
> >

> http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers
>
> I found the above, which might prove helpful.  It appears you need a
> very late 2.4.23+ kernel, or a 2.6.x - if you don't need woody,
> perhaps a Sarge (w/2.6 kernel installer) will have you covered out of
> the box.

Since apparently nobody bothers to patch kernel-source on woody
anymore I would certainly advise the OP to use the ones from sid or
sarge. They actually already patch the one in sarge against security
vulnerabilities it seems. I filed a bugreport against
kernel-source-2.4.19 but apparently nobody feels like answering it.
*shrug*

greets,
Wim