udev question

I just moved both of my Sarge machines from devfs to udev.   Took the
opportunity
since a new kernel-source-2.6.8 went into Sarge for a security fix and I was
going to have to reboot anyway.

My question is, now that devfs is gone and udev has taken its place, should
/.dev still exist?  Also, do I need devfs style symlinks in /dev ?  It seems
as though default behavior for udev is to create devfs style devices with
compatibility symlinks.  Is this optimal?

-Roberto