Re: CD/DVD writer successes anyone?

Ron Johnson escribió:

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:46 -0700, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
Hello:

I'm interested in adding a CD/DVD reader/writer to my meager system and
have been looking at LG GSA 4160B units (which allegedly `do it all').
I'm sure that there are alternatives, but I'm still in the infancy of my
search.
I'm aware only that the LG GSA 4040B (an old unit) was supported by
Linux, but I haven't located any info to suggest that current units
were.

Have any readers any experiences with these units (or others) which they
would care to share?

99.44% of all IDE devices are supported by Linux.  Unfortunately,
LG CD-RW burners are the only ones in many years that I've ever
heard give any trouble.

Scan the newspaper ads for the next time that Best Buy / CompUSA /
etc has no-name DVD-R/+RW burners on sale, and snag one.

This is interesting to add to Debian pages, giving suggestions to the buyers (before you buy...).

Regards.