virtual interfaces

After
1. adding the needed paragraph to /etc/network/interfaces to reflect
the virtual iface with 'anotherIP',
2. adding the corresponding file in /etc/apache2/sites-available,
3. creating the symlink in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
4. stopping, starting, reloading again networking and apache2
still can't get the added domain to respond. My question is: is there
any other step that I am missing, or should I make the assumption that
the 'anotherIP' is not pointing to my physical machine?
It is very unlikely that I made a mistake in steps 1-4, since I had
done it before to replace the default apache2 webserver space, and worked
good afterwards, and this second time I took care of repeating the
same steps with only the corresponding changes. This previous time I
used the same ip that the machine was already responding to, this is
why I think that the whole problem resides in the 'anotherIP' not
being directed to the machine. Any input is greatly appreciated in
advance.
AR.