Lost console after kernel upgrade

I upgraded from 2.6.5 to 2.6.9 today -- I used the debian
kernel-source-2.6.9 package and copied the 2.5.6 .config file into the
2.6.9 directory before building to retain my old config settings.

I no longer have my vesa (framebuffer??) screen on boot.  The screen
is blank from after the lilo prompt until xdm starts.  In lilo.conf I
have vga=0x317 -- which is what I had before.

This is odd as I had this same problem (no screen at boot) when I
upgraded from 2.4.x to 2.6.x and resolved by rebuilding the kernel --
but I seem to have not written how I resolved it in my system notes.

It bothers me that a kernel upgrade from 2.6.5 to 2.6.9 with only a
few config changes would result in this problem.  Anyone have
suggestion what changed?

moseley@laptop:~$ egrep ^CONFIG /boot/config-2.6.5-xfs-toshiba > 2.6.5
moseley@laptop:~$ egrep ^CONFIG /boot/config-2.6.9-xfs-toshiba > 2.6.9
moseley@laptop:~$ diff 2.6.5 2.6.9
4a5
> CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
7d7
< CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
8a9
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
20a22,23
> CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
> CONFIG_SHMEM=y
47c50
< CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
---
> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
55d57
< CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG=y
59a62
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=m
60a64,65
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
79d83
< CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
86d89
< CONFIG_SCSI_REPORT_LUNS=y
118a122,123
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
> CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
133,134d137
< CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
< CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
145a149
> CONFIG_PRISM54=m
176a181
> CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
183d187
< CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
219a224
> CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
222a228,229
> CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
> CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
224a232

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org