Re: Can I setup my computer to print off of a windows network?

On Thursday 02 December 2004 23:09, Shawn McCuan wrote:
> Right now i do not have a printer attached to my computer. But, I am
> networked with another computer in my house that IS connected to a
> printer. However, that computer is running WinXP Home. Can I set up
> Debian Unstable (with 2.6.9) kernel to print off of that printer like
> you can using windows networking?

I use cups as a print server and then use it to access a windows share via a
device uri of smb://pooh/laser, where '//pooh' is a windows 98 machine and
'laser' is the shared printer on that machine.

I don't know if this also works with win xp home.  It ought to, but I can't
even get and xp (home) laptop to talk to a samba fileshare at the moment, so
I don't feel 100% confident about this.
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk