Re: OOo Printer Setup Frustration - Elaboration

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:17:58AM +0000, Chris Halls wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 18:59 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > The other box does not find its attached printer and insists on using a
> > generic printer which only spits out dozens of blank pages.  If,
> > instead, I comment out export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1  openoffice finds the
> > attached printer but it is not possible to set the paper size and
> > nothing prints.
>
> I'm afraid the version in testing still has several problems.  If you
> can manage it, try upgrading to the version I just uploaded to unstable,
> which fixes many printing bugs.  It'll be a while until this gets into
> testing since we have to wait for dependencies with the KDE integration.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll try to get the unstable version.  In the meantime I have
researched the problem a little more.  The printer in question is an HP
940C attached to Box #1.  Printing from OpenOffice works on Box #2 and
the driver CUPS is using is HP-DeskJet_930C Foomatic/hpijs. Using locate
the file HP-DeskJet_940C-hpijs.ppd.gz is found on both boxes in
/usr/share/ppd/HP.

If oopadmin is started on Box #1 the add printer option	apparently looks
in the /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/printer directory - at least the
only choices it offers are found in that directory and DeskJet drivers
are not among these choices.

oopadmin add printer has a browse option which can be used to switch to
the /usr/share/ppd/HP directory where HP-DeskJet_940C-hpijs.ppd.gz is
located.  oopadmin believes that directory is empty.

As noted in the original posting, other programs on Box #1 can use the
printer with no difficulty.  For example, lp
/usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps prints a perfect test page.

I hope this information may be of some use.

Tom George