Re: time and computer networks

From an application point of view, time synchronisation is important for
correlation of data from different sources. I've worked with manufacturing systems wherein test and process equipment report data and events with time stamps local to the equipments computer. For high volume continuous processing, it's not unusual for these reports to lag the actual flow. If clocks are wildly out of sync, some software (reporting in particular) will hiccup on the time warps.

At a higher level, corporate systems (ERP, accounting, planning, etc), frequently communicate via batch (flat file) feeds. Although such systems may not be "real time", a 5 minute time warp can make for funny reports.

/icebiker

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Price" <matt.price@utoronto.ca>
To: "debian users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 00:59
Subject: OT: time and computer networks

hi folks,

ok...  this is way OT.  but I thought I'd put this question to the
most knowledgable group of people I know...

I have to give a lecture on the history of timekeeping technologies.
I want to end with late c.20/ early c21 technologies of synchronized
timekeeping.  GPS is one obvious example, NTP is another.  But
puttingthe lecture together I realized I don'trelaly understand why
it's important for computer networks to have fine-grain
synchronization.  So I thought I'd ask some geeks (as my sig says, I'm
only a hemi-geek):  why does a network need careful clock
synchronization?  Are packets like railroad cars -- in the sense that
it's VERY important to know which got sent first, and which is ocming
next -- and if you screw up the timeable, you get a catastrophe?  Or
is there more flexibility in the system?

anyway, it's just a question.  I'd love to hear some answers.

thanks,
matt

.''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User