Woody and kernel 2.6

Hello,

Is it possible to install a 2.6 kernel on woody?
If so what version is the most recommmended?
Is it possible to install the testing 2.4.27 kernel on woody too?

I'm asking all this questions because I had a lot, and I mean a LOT of problems
trying to upgrade the kernel from woody.

I have a mixed woody system, some packages are from stable, others from testing
and unstable. I've tried installing 2.6 kernel-images from testing and unstable
and failed (they crashed during a normal operation of the system and they had a
strange behavior during boot, because the floppy led would be turned on forever
after booting...).

Then I've tried to compile the unstable 2.6.9 kernel version from source using
make-kpkg. But I had problems to make the modem and the video to work at the same
time! (I own a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 and a USR 56K 3CP5610A modem). Both worked
perfectly on stable kernels but on the compiled 2.6.9, whenever I started the
gdm, the modem would stop working.

So finally I gave up! But now I'm considering installing 2.4.27-1-k7 kernel-image
from testing and I'm afraid that I'll have similar problems.. so I'd like to know
if it's ok to install it...

That was a very long mail, and I'm sorry to bother you all. But I hope someone
will have the patience to help me! Thanks a lot!

Thomas Beresford