Re: Software RAID 0 and linux 2.6.8.1

Well, definitely sounds like you know what you want :)

Seems like my confusion between you saying "software" and "hardware"
controller is, as Paolo was saying, the Promise FastTrak isn't a "true"
hardware controller apparently.  It still requires some software, ie.
kernel module, on the software side to operate.  This is, however,
coNSIDerably faster than using strictly software RAID where no card is
needed at all.  From the description of your system, however, this
wouldn't appear to be a problem.

I'll opt out of the conversation at this point because your
proposed setup is different enough from mine that I can't really
helpfully comment on it.  As I mentioned (and I believe even
tried), the "partial source code" from Promise for the FastTrak
doesn't compile (or at least isn't written to compile) for the 2.6
kernel.  If the drivers you know of are slow, maybe Paolo is right and
you should go with either strictly a hardware RAID controller or
strictly software RAID given that you have a slick system.

As for the boot loader issue, I'm not sure how a large BIOS is a
solution unless you can get your boot loader to use your BIOS which
I've never heard of.  Unless you are using a true hardware controller,
I'm not sure where/how your boot loader will be read with no other
disks other than the RAID 0'ed disks.

Best wishes,

Paul

  --received from Niels--