Re: NOT ANSWERED asus a7n8x built in nic and intel pro 100 S nic

At 02:16 PM 9/30/2004, you wrote:
On Thursday 30 September 2004 15:00, Ian L wrote:
> At 07:58 AM 9/30/2004, you wrote:

> >[snip]
> >
> > > I'm just having no luck at all with this. After it finished
> > > installing, the boot process fails. The last few lines on the screen
> > > are:
> > >
> > > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table
> > > pivot_root: no such file
> > > /sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
> > > kernel panic: attempted to kill init!
> > >
> > > i rebooted and was offered the choice to boot into recovery mode, but
> > > that fails also with the same errors.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Ian
> >
> >Apparently, your partition table is corrupt.  What does it look like?
> > What is each partition supposed to contain?
> >
> >Justin Guerin
>
> I only had 2 partitions.
> hda1 / 18 gigs ext3
> hda2 swap 2 gig
>
> Does it matter if i use grub or lilo? or install them into the mbr or
> hda1?
>
> thanks
>
> Ian

Grub vs. Lilo is personal preference most of the time.  Install them into
the MBR if you want to use it to boot all OSes present on your system.
Install to hda1 if you want to use a different boot loader.  If you got
this far, that's not your problem.  You've already found the kernel (or the
initial ram disk), the problem is mounting your root partition.  Can you
say what the partitions are marked as?  I believe ext3 should be 0x83, and
swap should be 0x82.  I take it those are the only two partitions on the
drive?

Another thing to check is that you've got your device nodes created
properly.  If you're running devfs and it fails to start, you'll get this
kind of error.  Are you using devfs, udev, or plain /dev?

Oh, you may also need to post the fstab contents (at least for your primary
drive).  That could also be the source of the error.

Justin Guerin

FYI, i just tried this using the rc1 debian installer (the full cd) and i got the same error.

I have a slightly older debian cd which i managed to get to boot up ok once. I'll try reinstalling with that one again.

Ian