Re: Getting Sluggish

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:56:56 -0500
Jeff Golden <jeffgolden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone help with some tips on how to improve my systems
> responsiveness?   I am using SID on a P42.2GHZ/1GB Ram system.   Most
> of my problems are with firefox.  It sometimes takes a few seconds
> just to move between form fields (i click and wait for the cursor to
> start blinking in the field).   I am also seeing instability in KDE
> (usually when browsing media folders), sometimes konqueror will crash.
>  In additon name resolution in firefox is very slow (several seconds
> per new url).  I can go out to a shell and ping and get name
> resolution nearly instantly.
>
> This is my first foray into debian and my longest into linux (several
> previous failed attempts but i haven't booted to windows in over a
> month now).  I am still quite new at this and just looking for some
> advice.   I am tempted to take the easy way out and just backup and
> re-install but then when it happens again I won't know how to fix it.
>
> I am also considering compiling firefox from source to tryo to fix its
> problems.  But I am not sure if that will help at all.  I am not sure
> what to do about KDE.
>
> I apologize if I have missed obvious documentation on the subject but
> are there any 'newbie' friendly guides to performance tuning a debian,
> or linux in general, system that anyone can point out?

This kind of sounds like some program in the background has crashed and
needs to be killed. If you run 'top' from a command line or console, do
you see any items using over 80% of the cpu time or a large amount of
ram? (It will show items using the most resources at the top of the
list, alternating between programs using the most cpu and programs using
the most ram.)

HTH,
Jacob