windows locks up while accessing samba shares

 I have a server running debian (testing) with samba. All permissions etc...
work and i can create folders etc.... my problem is that when i try to
transfer files on the server windows (win2000 prof) locks up. after
rebooting and going back to the server i find that the file has been
transferred with no problems

Also if i try to open any file on the server (it opens folders just fine)
windows locks up as well. basically any (read) file access locks up windows
but write does not, i would have put it down to faulty windows installation
had i not found out that other people who also accessed the server got the
same problem (windows lockup (win 2k & XP tested) ).

I believe it must be related to the server (possibly samba). while this is
my first attempt at using debian in a server i have used redhat before yet I
have never had a problem like this before, what could be causing it? (note
that from the server directly i can access the files with no problem)

Any help sorely appreciated as i am completely lost with this problem