Cannot set Vera Serif as the default serif font

Hello,

I have defined the Bitstream Vera Serif as my preferred serif
font in my ~/.fonts.conf:

 <alias>
  <family>serif</family>
    <prefer>
     <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
     <family>URW Palladio L</family>
     <family>FreeSerif</family>
    </prefer>
 </alias>

However, that particular font just seems to be ignored. When I
select the font "serif" I get the URW Palladio L. Aside from that
this font works well, so I guess it's fontconfig related.

Does anybody ken how to fix this... thing?

--
ernest

That's all you need tae dae in life. Just be yourself, he'd tell me.
It was the most difficult, challenging thing anybody ever asked of me.
--Irvine Welsh, Glue.