Re: unicode input in X apps: how to?

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Arne [utf-8] Götje ([utf-8] é«^Xç^[^[è^O¯) wrote:

> On Thursday 30 September 2004 13:33, James Miller wrote:
> > Methods?  The method, as I foresee it, involves pecking away at a
> > keyboard with my fingers while strange and wonderful characters
> > appear on a computer screen before me in response.  I suppose I
> >
> > Still sort of feeling my way around.
>
> Ok, let me pose the question in a different way. :)
> 1. which languages do you want to input?
> Different languages => different solutions.
> 2. Do you prefer the traditional xkb method, or a gui solution where you
> can choose multiple language modules and switch between them on the
> fly?

Hello Arne, and thanks for following up.  The main languages I am
interested in are: Russian (phonetic keyboard) and Greek (with
diacriticals).  I think I could be largely satisfied with those for now.
I don't think I really have any preference for gui over traditional or
vice versa: whichever is more effective/flexible should serve my purposes.
Also, with regard to switching "on the fly," isn't it true that both gui
and traditional methods allow switching on the fly?  With setxkbmap, for
example, I've switched between Russian and English just by entering
setxkbmap ru and setxkbmap us, respectively.  Did you have something else
in mind?  Anyway, I look forward to any further input and tips you may
have on this.

James