Re: UTF-8 locale, strange chars in X terminal pager(s), specifically man pages

On Thursday 30 Sep 2004 16:39:20 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2004-09-30 08:54:01 -0500, Frederick B. Henry Jr. wrote:
> > Another solution which someone was kind enough to send me was to set
> > LC_ALL to "C" before every invocation of "man", which works, but
> > seems kludgy.
>
> This just deactivates non-ASCII characters, which should be replaced
> by ASCII characters.
>
> > I suppose if man is ultimately incapable of handling a utf-8 locale
> > then that may have to be the solution (?). (BTW, in my locale output
> > the only var unset is LC_ALL -- all the others are set to
> > en_US.UTF-8)
>
> It may be a problem with your terminal. I've attached a small file
> containing characters in UTF-8. Could you save it and cat it in your
> terminal to see if there are problems?

In aterm, it has problems; in (u)xterm, none.  So perhaps it is a problem
with my aterm setup.  In aterm, TERM is set to "rxvt"; in (u)xterm TERM is
set to "xterm."

And despite the fact that the file you attached displays fine in
(u)xterm, I still get the funny chars in man pages.  So it seems that even
if aterm has some problems with that file, and xterm does not, man pages
are still not displayed perfectly in (u)xterm.  I'm thinking it is less a
terminal issue than a "man" issue.  As I mentioned before, I can see in my
(u)xterm Greek, Thai, Georgian, Cyrillic and even Runes (only the Amharic
Ethiopian is all boxes).  Seems like unicode is partially working at the
least.

Thanks again for your help!

Fred Henry, Jr.