Re: unicode input in X apps: how to?

 --- James Miller <jamtat@mailsnare.net> wrote:
> Thanks for responding, Tony.  I did manage to find
> out about, and
> experiment with xsetkbmap.  It does, in fact, allow
> me to enter text in
> Russian into OOo like you say.  I'm delighted with
> that.

Terrific! Glad to be of service!

> However, it
> makes it impossible to type anything into the xterm
> (guess there's no
> Cyrillic font for it to show?).

Yes, OO is very good at managing the fonts itself, for
xterm - note that if you want to use unicode you need
to use a term that understands unicode - uxterm is the
one.

Then you'll need the cyrillic fonts, I don't use
cyrillic myself, but try searching for cyrillic fonts
and install:

apt-get install xfonts-efont-unicode
apt-get install xfonts-efont-unicode-ib

I'm not 100% that that will do the trick, as I say, I
don't use cyrillic myself.

But I was able to
> back out of that by
> cutting and pasting "xsetkbmap us."  Problem now is
> how to get a different
> keyboard layout.  "xsetkbmap ru" gets the
> traditional Russian layout,
> whereas I am used to the phonetic one.  I've
> searched a bit on layouts to
> see if I could discover a name for a phonetic
> Russian keyboard layout, but
> thus far without success: any suggestions on finding
> where their names
> might be listed?

Again I don't use cyrillic so I can only give you a
few pointers.  Emacs lists the following possible
names for  cyrillic keyboards:

cyrillic-beylorussian
cyrillic-jcuken
cyrillic-jis-russian
cyrillic-macedonian
cyrillic-serbian
cyrillic-translit		   cyrillic-translit-bulgarian
cyrillic-ukrainian
cyrillic-yawerty

I'm not sure that will help (I know my girlfriend
likes cyrillic-yawerty for her Russian homework :) )

As for X the keyboards, they are all in /etc/X11/xkbd

The ones I have listed are ru, ge_ru and ru_yawerty.
You might find more if you do apt-cache search.

Also, it seems that if you use the Gnome desktop all
this keyboard switching is easier, me I use
WindowMaker.

Hope that helps

By the way, I don't understand
> this key sequence from
> your reply: "AltGr+."  Can you explain which
> keyboard keys you're talking
> about?  I know alt, of course, but what is "Gr"?
> And + is simply shift,
> then the equals (=) key?  Thanks again.  I do feel
> as though I'm making at
> least some progress.

Yes, sorry AltGr is the "right alt key", it's called
AltGr on many keyboards and Alt on others.  "+" isn't
anything -it means "while holding down this key".

So, on my gb keyboard if I press the right alt key
hold it down press ';' and then press e I get é - e
with an acute accent.