sound/mouse weird problem

Hey,

I installed debian testing onto my laptop, i have setup my wm and got it
how i want now (thanks to the list for that :)) ummmm but i have another
problem...

The sound card on the laptop didnt work right off... and from previous
experiance with it on other distro's i know/knew i had to add it to
modprobe.conf and install alsa (from apt) so i did so.

The problem is that now the touchpad/track point (little stick in the
middle of keyboard) has disappeard... before i put the entry into
modprobe.conf i did a cat /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice and both was
outputting things.

but now i have added the sound card to modprobe.conf i have lost them,
when i try to do a cat /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice i just get
something about not finding the device...

so the question is really how can i have sound AND mouse on the same
system.

The system is a HP Omnibook 4150
Cpu P2 300mhz,
368Mb Ram,
4gb Drive,
Soundcard is a cs4236 (i think, i cant check at the moment as i am not at
home)

It runs on a neomagic 256 chipset, but the neomagic sound card driver
doesnt work, i know from trying before :)

Any help would be great!!

Thanks
Grant.

ps = if i remove the entry from modprobe.conf the mice/mouse works
fine... but with no sound.