Re: unicode input in X apps: how to?

On Thursday 30 September 2004 00:03, James Miller wrote:
> I can't seem to puzzle out how to input unicode into X apps:
> specifically, I need to do this in OpenOffice.org.  My Windows
> "friends" all have keyboard switching programs that allow them to
> select different unicode fonts so that they can write their friends
> in Urdu, Byelorussian and Mandarin.  Meanwhile, I sit here with my
> "superior" Debian OS unable to match their facile success.  Of course
> I can enter a character at a time using the character map feature of
> OOo.  But I'd like to just be able to type away at the keyboard in
> Russian, Greek or Tagalog.  So, is there some way to accomplish this
> under Debian?  Do I need some sort of keyboard switching program like
> those awful Redmond-worshippers use?  Is it a more manual process
> under Debian or Linux in general?  In spite of having read some
> things on unicode, I still don't have a very clear idea of what to
> do.  Can anyone offer help, point to links, or make other such
> helpful gestures?  I know I can use old-fashioned "dedicated" (my
> term)  fonts to make foreign languages appear in OOo.  But I'm trying
> to keep with the times and use the latest and greatest unicode
> everyone keeps raving about. Help, please?

First of all, as you have already noticed, Unicode input is still in its
infancy on Linux...

So, currently you have to decide on which specific input methods you
want.

Please specify, which methods you want, then I can give you advice how
to do this. Also note that it depends on the application you are using.
Mozilla and OpenOffice can only handle the XIM protocol in the moment,
same as KDE. GTK2 apps have sometimes the possibility to use newer
approaches, but not all of them work...
I myself use Chinese, Japanese and west european characters on my US
keyboard with a selfmade but by far not perfect solution.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)