Re: Gnome-Panel no longer starts at login, or after

--- Ian Thomas <scraemondaemon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Andrea Vettorello <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:34:35 -0700 (PDT), Ian
> Thomas
> > <scraemondaemon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- Andrea Vettorello
> > <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com>
> launch
> > the
> > >
> > > <prompt> $ panel &
> > >
> > > GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1348
> > > (g_strsplit): assertion `string != NULL' failed.
> > >
> > > No panel starts.  I haven't found any
> information
> > > about how to fix this problem from the following
> > > sources:
> > >
> > > debian mailing list archives
> > > gnome mailing list archives
> > > google
> > >
> > > I'm a little disappointed that this would happen
> > in
> > > Debian Stable and surprised that no one else has
> > > encountered this problem.  I'll keep looking for
> > an
> > > answer and post if I find one.
> > >

> > I suspect a stale/broken config somewhere in your
> > home. Have you tried
> > with a freshly created dummy account?
>
> I tried previously by renaming my entire .gnome
> directory to something else.  This didn't bring back
> the panel.  However, after creating a guest account,
> got a panel on login.  I'm going to rename all of
> the
> gnome related directories in my home folder and see
> if
> that doesn't bring back the panel.  The solution
> appears to be close now.

Final update:

I deleted every file in my home directory that could
possibly be related to gnome, leaving only the
following config files:

.bash_profile, .bashrc, .emacs, .fetchmailrc,
.procmailrc, .ssh

Gnome started up with default settings and still
failed to show a panel.  Watching the icons appear
across the bottom of the splash screen appeared to
show two gnome panel icons.  This would mean that two
gnome panels attempted to start.  Doing the following
showed that a panel was running

ps aux | grep panel

It wasn't however, showing up on the screen.  Repeated
usage of the above combination showed that the panel
kept starting and dieing, as it was listed with a
different procid each time.  I was also unable to
start a panel from the terminal.  Gnome told me that a
panel was already running and asked if I would like to
start one anyway.  I said yes, and still, no panel
appeared.

I'm giving up on finding a solution to this problem.
I'm going to wait until Sarge is released and update
Gnome when that happens.  I'm hoping it's soon.  Gnome
1.4, in my experience, has been a complete disaster.
My thanks to Anrea for attempting to figure out this
problem with me.

Ian