Re: Gnome-Panel no longer starts at login, or after

--- Andrea Vettorello <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:34:35 -0700 (PDT), Ian Thomas
> <scraemondaemon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Andrea Vettorello
> <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > If you open an xterm (or gnome term) and launch
> the
> > > "panel &" command,
> > > the panel start?
> >
> > <prompt> $ panel &
> >
> > GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1348
> > (g_strsplit): assertion `string != NULL' failed.
> >
> > No panel starts.  I haven't found any information
> > about how to fix this problem from the following
> > sources:
> >
> > debian mailing list archives
> > gnome mailing list archives
> > google
> >
> > I'm a little disappointed that this would happen
> in
> > Debian Stable and surprised that no one else has
> > encountered this problem.  I'll keep looking for
> an
> > answer and post if I find one.
> >

> I suspect a stale/broken config somewhere in your
> home. Have you tried
> with a freshly created dummy account?

I tried previously by renaming my entire .gnome
directory to something else.  This didn't bring back
the panel.  However, after creating a guest account, I
got a panel on login.  I'm going to rename all of the
gnome related directories in my home folder and see if
that doesn't bring back the panel.  The solution
appears to be close now.

Ian