Re: NOT ANSWERED asus a7n8x built in nic and intel pro 100 S nic

At 03:16 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:49:11 -0700
Ian L <debhelp@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:

> >You don't mention which netinst cd you're using. Is it rc1 or a daily
> >build or something else? If you're using rc1, you can probably solve
> >your problem by using one of the latest daily builds - worked great
> >for me recently installing on a DFI motherboard with a builtin Nforce
> >NIC.
>
> Its a daily netinst. I just booted off the disc to check and the build
> is 20040927.

Ok, good.

> >If you're already using a recent daily build and having these
> >problems, it sounds like you need to escape to a console- Ctrl-F2 and
> >run ifconfig and lsmod to see which of your ethernet cards it's
> >recognizing and trying to setup. If you're not sure what to do here,
> >send us the output from 'ifconfig', 'ifconfig -a' and 'lsmod' and
> >we'll try to give you more specific instructions.
>
> At what point do i hit ctrl-f2? If i select not to use dhcp, it
> prompts me to enter an IP address. I tried filling in 192.168.0.100
> and letting it proceed from there, but it hangs after i enter in all
> the IP info. If i skip the network setup entirely (i let it detect the
> hardware, just skiped network settings) i can then continue along with
> the install.

I would do it right after filling in the networking information manually
or it fails to get information from dhcp; whichever way you can
accomplish it best without a crash.

ctrl-f2 didnt do anything. It usually crashed if i let it try to use DHCP or if i enter in some IP info manually. Actually, i guess i shouldnt say crash, it freezes. Stops responding, no visible error message.

From the install menu i can scroll down and select escape to shell, but its a minimal shell with a handful of commands

This really sounds like you need to file a bug against debian-installer.
This is the kind of stuff they want to get fixed (especially the
crashes!) before the 'big release' which is supposed to happen any day
now. :-)

Just point me to link ... i tried looking in their bug archive before, but i dont think i found a link to post a new bug.

> Also, i dont know if this is related or not, but everytime it prompts
> me to load modules, it seems to want to load every IDE chipset module
> it has.

I noticed that in my recent installs as well, though it didn't have any
negative effects for me.

HTH,
Jacob

Ok