Re: NOT ANSWERED asus a7n8x built in nic and intel pro 100 S nic

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:49:11 -0700
Ian L <debhelp@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:

> At 02:20 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:54:49 -0700
> >Ian L <debhelp@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > i have the asus a7n8x, with the built in NIC as well as a 2nd nic
> > > i added, an intel pro 100 S, with chipset number 82550.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to use the netinst cd and its not working because it
> > > keeps failing to set up my network cards. I tried installing it
> > > using both the 2.4 kernel and the 2.6 kernel but both fail. The
> > > intel card just fails to install. It says its installing for 82557
> > > 82558 and 82559 chips, so maybe thats the problem with the intel
> > > card. The built in nforce nic though says it installs, but fails
> > > to get an ip from the dhcp server. DHCP server is working. plugged
> > > my laptop into the same port with the same cable and it picked it
> > > up right away.
> > >
> > > I found the below link searching the list archives. It says it
> > > needs the forcedeth module, but when the installer is running, one
> > > of the modules it says it needs but thats not available is the
> > > forcedeth module.
> > >
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/07/msg01368.html
> > >
> > > I also tried doing the full install cd, and then upgrading the
> > > kernel. But thats turning into a nightmare since it wants me to
> > > install a million other packages that it depends on.
> >
> >You don't mention which netinst cd you're using. Is it rc1 or a daily
> >build or something else? If you're using rc1, you can probably solve
> >your problem by using one of the latest daily builds - worked great
> >for me recently installing on a DFI motherboard with a builtin Nforce
> >NIC.
>
> Its a daily netinst. I just booted off the disc to check and the build
> is 20040927.

Ok, good.

> >If you're already using a recent daily build and having these
> >problems, it sounds like you need to escape to a console- Ctrl-F2 and
> >run ifconfig and lsmod to see which of your ethernet cards it's
> >recognizing and trying to setup. If you're not sure what to do here,
> >send us the output from 'ifconfig', 'ifconfig -a' and 'lsmod' and
> >we'll try to give you more specific instructions.
>
> At what point do i hit ctrl-f2? If i select not to use dhcp, it
> prompts me to enter an IP address. I tried filling in 192.168.0.100
> and letting it proceed from there, but it hangs after i enter in all
> the IP info. If i skip the network setup entirely (i let it detect the
> hardware, just skiped network settings) i can then continue along with
> the install.

I would do it right after filling in the networking information manually
or it fails to get information from dhcp; whichever way you can
accomplish it best without a crash.

> >If it really does have one of your NICs setup, but it's just a matter
> >of not finding the dhcp server, is there a reason you can't assign it
> >an ip manually?
>
> I'd have to contact the ITS dept to get them to assign an IP to the
> machine while i work on it. Also, seemingly randomly, it will hang
> during the install at the point where its trying to get an IP address.
> Sometimes it just hangs at a blue screen (and i thought windows was
> the only place you got a BSOD ;) and sometimes it hangs with the
> status bar somewhere between 0 and 100% and sometimes it will complete
> and say it couldnt get an IP. When it hangs i have to hit the reset
> button since the keyboard goes dead as well. Seems to hang more often
> then not.

This really sounds like you need to file a bug against debian-installer.
This is the kind of stuff they want to get fixed (especially the
crashes!) before the 'big release' which is supposed to happen any day
now. :-)

> Also, i dont know if this is related or not, but everytime it prompts
> me to load modules, it seems to want to load every IDE chipset module
> it has.

I noticed that in my recent installs as well, though it didn't have any
negative effects for me.

HTH,
Jacob