Re: NOT ANSWERED asus a7n8x built in nic and intel pro 100 S nic

At 02:20 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:54:49 -0700
Ian L <debhelp@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:

> i have the asus a7n8x, with the built in NIC as well as a 2nd nic i
> added, an intel pro 100 S, with chipset number 82550.
>
> I'm trying to use the netinst cd and its not working because it keeps
> failing to set up my network cards. I tried installing it using both
> the 2.4 kernel and the 2.6 kernel but both fail. The intel card just
> fails to install. It says its installing for 82557 82558 and 82559
> chips, so maybe thats the problem with the intel card. The built in
> nforce nic though says it installs, but fails to get an ip from the
> dhcp server. DHCP server is working. plugged my laptop into the same
> port with the same cable and it picked it up right away.
>
> I found the below link searching the list archives. It says it needs
> the forcedeth module, but when the installer is running, one of the
> modules it says it needs but thats not available is the forcedeth
> module.

> I also tried doing the full install cd, and then upgrading the kernel.
> But thats turning into a nightmare since it wants me to install a
> million other packages that it depends on.

You don't mention which netinst cd you're using. Is it rc1 or a daily
build or something else? If you're using rc1, you can probably solve
your problem by using one of the latest daily builds - worked great for
me recently installing on a DFI motherboard with a builtin Nforce NIC.

If you're already using a recent daily build and having these problems,
it sounds like you need to escape to a console- Ctrl-F2 and run
ifconfig and lsmod to see which of your ethernet cards it's recognizing
and trying to setup. If you're not sure what to do here, send us the
output from 'ifconfig', 'ifconfig -a' and 'lsmod' and we'll try to give
you more specific instructions.

If it really does have one of your NICs setup, but it's just a matter of
not finding the dhcp server, is there a reason you can't assign it an ip
manually?

HTH,
Jacob

I'm just having no luck at all with this. After it finished installing, the boot process fails. The last few lines on the screen are:

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table
pivot_root: no such file
/sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

i rebooted and was offered the choice to boot into recovery mode, but that fails also with the same errors.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Ian