Re: Firefox Install

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:42:44 +0200
Andrea Vettorello <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:33:54 +0200, Joost Witteveen
> <joostje@iliana.nl> wrote:

> > >logged>into X as root.
> > >>

> > > IMNSHO this is not wise, doing this will only create havoc behind
> > > the back of your package manager (dpkg), the only place you can
> > > safely install something without using dpkg is in your home or in
> > > /usr/local... =)
> >
> > The firefox-installer asks the user where to install firefox.
> > So just tell it to install in /usr/local, and you should be fine
> >

> And better, without using the root account... =)

Except that when it's installed as a user that's non-root, it's only
good for the person that installed it. Probably not a concern to most
people, but I've gotten used to having multiple users on my machine. I
don't like having the same software installed multiple times just so
other users have the same program. :-)

Jacob