Re: Icewm and backgrounds ?

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:48:21 +0100
Grant <orblists@orbysrealm.com> wrote:

> Jacob S wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:30:12 +0100
> >Grant <orblists@orbysrealm.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I just resently installed debian testing onto my laptop, i have
> >>selected a nice theme... but i cant set a nice background.... could
> >>someone tell me how i can set a background and what format it needs
> >to>be in ?
> >
> >Icepref is the easiest tool I have found for changing icewm settings,
> >including wallpaper. (apt-get install icepref, if it's not already
> >installed.) Run icepref from a rxvt or xterm and you can change a
> >ton of settings in icewm to work the way you want them to. Go to
> >the 'Background' tab in the left column to tell it what wallpaper you
> >want.
> >
> >I commonly use .jpg files for wallpaper. I'm not sure what other
> >formats Icewm may support, though I would imagine it would support
> >most any.gif, .jpg, .png or .bmp.
> >
> >Also note that you'll need to log out of X and back in before it will
> >use your new wallpaper and settings.
> >
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I installed icepref and used it to set the background, then logged out
>
> and in again but there is still no background image... is there a
> certain format the image needs to be in to work?

Are you starting X by running 'startx' from the command line, or are you
using a Display Manager, like kdm, gdm, xdm, etc.?

Gdm starts everything properly for me, when I tell it to use IceWM at
login time. However, from the command line I have had to add the
following to ~/.xsession :

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/icewmbg &
/usr/bin/icewm

(Also note that /usr/bin/icewm can be replaced with
/usr/bin/icewm-gnome, depending on which you have installed and which
you want to use.)

HTH,
Jacob