Re: Gnome-Panel no longer starts at login, or after

--- Andrea VeVettorelloanandreaevettorellomgmailom>
wrote:

> On Tue, 28 SeSep004 16:09:40 -0700 (PDT), Ian Thomas
> <scscraemondaemonahoo.com> wrote:
> > A few days ago I logged into GNOME using GDGDMnd
> the
> > gnome panel failed to start up.  That left me with
> > just sasawfishunning.  This is usable but I would
> like
> > the Gnome panel back for convenience sake.  I have
> > tried the following:
> >
> > Renaming each of the following files or
> directories:
> > ~/.gnome/session
> > ~/.gnome/panel
> > ~/.gnome
> >
> > None of these made the panel come back.
> Attempting to
> > start the gnome panel after logging in gives the
> > following:
> >
> > <prompt> $ panel
> >

> I could be wrong, but to start the gnome panel, you
> should use the
> "gnome-panel" command (i don't have a Woody box with
> Gnome installed
> to check)

It may have changed in gnome 2, but panel is the
command for "gnome panel" in Gnome 1.4.  I do have the
following commands that include the prefix
'gnome-panel'.  They are: $1-add-launcher,
$1-properties-cacapplet-panel-scscreenshot

In the file, /etc/gnome/default.session, the
fofollwingall to 'panel' is listed.

7,ReRestartCommandanel --smsmlient-id default7

This line is listed three times in different places
corresponding to one for each session listed in
/etc/gnome/default.session.  After having moved my
session file in my home directory out of the way, I
have tried logging in using each of the default
settings, classic, default, and nautilus, listed in
this file.  The gnome panel doesn't come up any of
these times.  I, however, don't have an entry for
panel in my own session file.  There should be one,
and I haven't ededitedhis file by hand.

Thanks for the response.  Any more suggestions?

Ian