Gnome-Panel no longer starts at login, or after

A few days ago I logged into GNOME using GDM and the
gnome panel failed to start up.  That left me with
just sawfish running.  This is usable but I would like
the Gnome panel back for convenience sake.  I have
tried the following:

Renaming each of the following files or directories:
~/.gnome/session
~/.gnome/panel
~/.gnome

None of these made the panel come back.  Attempting to
start the gnome panel after logging in gives the
following:

<prompt> $ panel

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 660
(real_goad_server_activate): assertion failed:
(name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...

The 'gnome-name-service' is running according to 'ps'.
 Any suggestions?

Running Stable: Gnome 1.4

Ian