newbie trying to install usb modem

I have just installed sarge using CDs (jigdo download of 1st 3) on my old win98 PC. I have 2 hard disks so Debian is on a separate disk - so no real problems if I need to start again.

I have an Alcatel speedtouch 330 USB (broadband/ADSL) modem, which works on both the win98 PC and my win xp laptop. I'm not quite ready to completely abandon windows yet, but the first step along that route would be to start with a shared internet connection with the Debian machine in charge. Ultimately I would like a proper home network, where I could allow my daughter (currently 20 months) access to some internet (such as CBeebies) and access to her own login without any danger of wrecking anything else.

1)  Do tell me if I've made any false assumptions so far
2) I found the following site which talks about recompiling the kernel

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/docs/sargehowto.html

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/download/index.html

this all sounded a bit more involved than i was planning as a newbie installation.

I have sarge installed with the 2.4 kernel.  (jigdo template 19 Sept 2004)
3)Am I right in thinking that a newer kernel might support the speedtouch.
4) I haven't yet got an ethernet card - I thought I'd wait until I could get a net connection up and running. Am I wrong? should I go and get one now?

So any advice on how to get this modem working would be greatly appreciated - or should I abandon it for another model (it was provided with the ADSL).

Stephen