Re: No console text after kernel recompile

Nathanael Hasbrouck <natbrouck@webryders.net> writes:

> I've just been working on compiling a new kernel, and now don't have any
> text on my console.  I still have a cursor, but no text is actually
> printed after lilo starts the kernel booting.  No text on any of my
> virtual consoles.  Buttons 6 & 7 on my Intellimouse Explorer don't seem to
> work either, but don't know if it's related.  These problems occur with
> both 2.6.7 and 2.6.8.1 kernels, 2.6.6 works perfectly.

I've had this problem (with the same exact kernel versions) while
using the "radeonfb" module for my ATI Radeon 7200. I managed to
switch back to using the non framebuffer version and everything worked
fine.

Disable the framebuffer module/support for your card or maybe try
playing with the lilo.conf vga=* setting. I would expect the framebuffer
module is only used for some fancy console video modes, no?

hth,
Thamer