Re: HP Proliant ML350 G4 support

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 22:15, Mark Schonfeld wrote:
> First of all, this is my first usage of the Debian mailing lists, so
> if I have mailed this to the wrong list, I apologize and ask that you
> simply direct me to a more appropriate list.
>
> I am interested in the HP Proliant ML350 G4.  The specific model I am
> looking to purchase is as follows:
>
> ProLiant ML350 G4 Hot Plug SCSI Tower Model
> Intel® Xeon™ Processor 3.00GHz/800MHz FSB
> 1GB Total PC2700 (1x1GB)
> Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
> Smart Array 642 controller (RAID)
> 6 x 1" Hot Pluggable Hard Drive Bays
> RAID 1 drive set (requires matching 2 hard drives)
> 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm Universal Hard Drive (1")
> 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm Universal Hard Drive (1")
> 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
> 48x IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM Drive
> NC7761 PCI Gigabit NIC (embedded)
> SmartStart & Insight Manager
> Warranty - 3 year next business day onsite
>
> Unfortunately though because this is a fairly new model, information
> on Debian support seems to be practically nonexistant.  HP does not
> officially support Debian.  Is there any info anybody can offer
> regarding Debian support on this system?  I am particularly nervous
> where raid is involved (it is).  Any information that can be offered
> would be much appreciated.  This has been posted in the form of a
> thread at LQ for reference:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=235965&referrerid=133136

Looks like your raid controller is supported (see below).

>From the debian packages of 2.6.8 & 2.4.26: ./Documentation/cciss.txt

This driver is for Compaq's SMART Array Controllers.

Supported Cards:
----------------

This driver is known to work with the following cards:

        * SA 5300
        * SA 5i
        * SA 532
        * SA 5312
        * SA 641
        * SA 642
        * SA 6400
        * SA 6400 U320 Expansion Module
        * SA 6i
        * SA 6422
        * SA V100

Peruse the kernel source + docs to determine if the rest of your
hardware is supported. Generally, if the hardware is supported by the
Linux kernel, you should be able to run Debian on it.

BTW, HP _does_ support Debian to some degree
(http://www.hp.com/hps/linux/lx_debian.html)

-davidc