Re: I've changed keyboards, now how do I change the mapping...

Hello

Am Montag, 27. September 2004 23:45 schrieb Robert Cates:> > Robert
> Andreas Janssen wrote:
>> Cates (<robert@kormar.de>) wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had to replace my defective US style keyboard with a spare
>>> German style keyboard, but cannot seem to find where/how to
>>> reconfigure for the correct mapping. I chose US style keyboard at
>>> install time, and now need to change to German/DE style. In other
>>> words, I need to set this at system level, since I do not even
>>> have X-window or KDE installed.
>>>
>> Try dpkg-reconfigure console-tools or dpkg-reconfigure
>> console-data.
>>
> I just tried both of your suggestions, and dpkg-reconfigure
> console-data gave me some text which in part said - "Select keymap
> from arch list" will allow you to select one of the predefined
> keymaps specific for your architecture - you will most likely want
> this unless you have a USB keyboard."
>
> But actually I do have a USB keyboard.  Is there no way to configure
> Debian to map my German style USB keyboard?  Isn't there a config
> file somewhere which sets the keyboard style in use on the machine
> that I can simply edit?

I think the info is a little misleading. If the USB keyboard belongs to
the architecture you want to use it on (e.g. PC keyboard on a PC), I
think you should choose "select keymap from arch list". Just try it.
You probably want to select qwertz/German/Standard/latin1 or
latin1-nodeadkeys.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270