I've changed keyboards, now how do I change the mapping...

Hi,

I've had to replace my defective US style keyboard with a spare German style keyboard, but cannot seem to find where/how to reconfigure for the correct mapping. I chose US style keyboard at install time, and now need to change to German/DE style. In other words, I need to set this at system level, since I do not even have X-window or KDE installed.

Oh, please CC me, since I'm not currently subscribed to this list.

Thanks to all for your help!
Robert