local/keyboard settings in Debian Woody

Hi all, (please CC directly to me since I'm not currently subscribed to this list, thanks)

where does one configure Debian (or any Linux for that matter) to use local settings, or more precisely to use a German language keyboard, during bootup? I've got my KDE configured to use German (and/or English keyboards) just fine, but when I boot and get the loggin prompt before I get to the KDE, I have to mentally map the U.S. keyboard to the German keyboard I'm using.

If I remember correctly in BSD there's a file - rc.local or rc.conf where I would add a line to set the encoding to DE, but I'm not sure how to do this in Debian.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert