Re: SATA RAID (MSI Neo-FSR) on debian-amd64

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:58:27AM +0200, Floris Barthel wrote:
> I've sent this message to both the debian-user and debian-amd64
> lists as this same problem might be possible with debian-i386 as well
> though I haven't tried.
>
> Today I tried installing debian-amd64 on my brand-new Amd64 system.
> However, I ran into problems using SATA RAID. I configured my two
> hitachi 120gb sata drives to create a hardware raid0 array using the
> on-board VIA controller. Now, when in the installer, I partioned both
> HD's as raid drives, and used the software raid installer to create a
> single raid0 array with the two drives. Now here's the problem: when I
> try to partion my raid array, the installer complains about having
> failed to create an ext3 filesystem (likewise with reiserfs). I've
> also tried installing debian on one of the sata drives with hardware
> raid turned on in the bios (so no software raid through the
> installer). The installation here goes flawless but when booting the
> computer hangs at "Loading grub...". Installing debian on one of the
> disks with neither hardware nor software raid works perfectly. What
> could be wrong?

It's not hardware RAID. See

  http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html#via

Install on a single disk and migrate to software RAID.

> Oh, this might be important: There are no IDE devices on my system
> aside from the dvd-burner. The installer talks about writing the
> bootloader to the mbr or hdd1 (with "hardwareraid=on, software
> raid=off" and "hardwareraid=off, softwareraid=off"), whilst such
> device doesn't really exist. The sata drives are identified by the
> installer as scsi drives.

I'm not sure LILO and/or Grub understand SATA devices mapped to
/dev/sd*, all my amd64 box is netbooted (using pxelinux).

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --