Re: exim und mehrere nutzer

Op ma 27-09-2004, om 00:04 schreef Johannes Buehler:

> Hallo,

Hallo, gutenabend. English, please :)

Or you could try <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/>.

[snip]

> im prinzip müßte jetzt exim anhand der emailadresse wissen, mit
> welchem nutzernamen und passwort an den externen mailserver geschickt
> werden soll.

Translation: "Exim must know from the [sender's] e-mail address, which
user name and password should be sent to the external mail server"

I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve. Why do you need
this?

One of several typical configuration scenarios will be where Exim uses
just one (1) so-called "smarthost" to forward mail to. That smarthost
will probably be the SMTP server of the ISP you use to connect your Exim
box to the internet. If that smarthost is setup to accept only
authenticated connections, you will send *your* username and password,
because you are the sender from the smarthost point-of-view. Mail will
be accepted and sent whatever the From: address will look like, even if
it were george.w.bush@whitehouse.gov :)

Of course Exim is also perfectly able to deliver mail to the destination
by itself, without depending on any external mail server at all. If you
have permanent, unfiltered connectivity you will almost certainly want
this.

You can make your users authenticate with *your* server if you want, and
then send their mail for them with either of described methods. But when
they are outside your network (logged in somewhere else) why not just
let them send through whatever SMTP server they have available there.

--
Olav <betenoire@xs4all.nl>