Re: A Little Confused

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:34:03PM -0700, John Lowell wrote:
> Bill Marcum wrote:
>
> > You can change that by editing /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup and
> > /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources.  I have mine showing xplanet in the
> > background.
>
> Hi Bill!
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've been over ever bit of ground in /etc/X11/xdm and can see what you mean
> when it comes to Xresources - there is certainly ever available possibility
> there for changing the appearance of the graphical login prompt itself - but
> I'm concerned primarily with that awful gray X screen on which the login is
> superimposed. I can see no way to change that in Xresources.You refer to
> Xsetup in that directory; I have no such /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup. Did you mean
> Xaccess?

Xsetup is a script which runs when xdm is started, before it shows the
login prompt.  I see according to the changelog
(/usr/share/doc/xdm/changelog.Debian.gz) that the Xsetup and Xreset
scripts are no longer part of the xdm package.  I guess I still have
mine because I modified it.  You can still write your own Xsetup
script, but be careful because the script runs as root.

> Are you bringing in a .png file or something similar here when you
> refer to Xplanet?

Xplanet shows a picture of the earth or other planets.  By default it
shows the earth with sunlight or darkness depending on the time of
day, as seen from space directly above 0 degrees longitude and
latitude.

> I'd settle for a color change frankly, maybe a dark blue.
You could do that with xsetroot.

> What are you doing to these files to get xdm to load Xplanet? My
> understanding is that xdm both starts X and runs the login GUIat the same
> time. I've tried to find ways to intervene in that process and just can't
> make them work. And going back to taking xdm out by removing the appropriate
> link causes more trouble with things than it's worth. Why Debian has chosen
> to launch X with xdm when someone has elected no more than a window manager
> to work with escapes me, frankly.

You could simply do "apt-get remove xdm", and go back to using startx.

--
System Events